Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My Post-Graduation Plans

I don't have any. 

Not really, anyway. 

The funny thing is, I don't even mind. I really don't. I am happy to be at home every day cleaning, cooking and just being free! I'm sure the feeling will wear off at some point but for now, for the summer, I only have plans to enjoy my summer working on my Family History, taking vacations, helping my parents move across the country, spending time with friends, really getting a handle on my health, reading books (of my own choosing) outside in my new lawn chair and sleeping. 

I suppose that is a plan. It's just not the plan I think people expect to hear when they ask, "So, what now"? And I'm not offended by the question, I just don't think I have the typical answer and for the silliest reason, I have been having a hard time answering when people ask.

Why? Why not be proud of my decision? It's a temporary thing and even if it wasn't it would still be a good decision for me. I want one summer to myself without school or work. I want one summer that I can pamper my hardworking husband and welcome him home every day to a clean house and a nice, hard earned meal! What is so weird about that?

I think nowadays it's odd for a woman who doesn't have any children (and isn't pregnant) to want to be a homemaker. Women with kids already have a lot of opposition facing them that it seems bizarre that someone without kids would subject themselves to staying at home to be a homemaker, right?

I don't think that I'm being judged and I have never heard anyone say that I'm less of a person for wanting this, I have simply felt this attitude expressed by others. Truly, I don't think it's a conscious attitude but I do think it exists. What I'm trying to say is typically if you aren't employed as a woman in the culture I'm surrounded by (Provo...a love/hate relationship for me) you are one of the following: a mother or a student. At times, it feels as though you are qualified to be unemployed because of those two things. But choice? That doesn't seem to be a good enough qualifier, it only makes you "lazy".

Now, I know that the culture I'm surrounded by is not the best example of the real world. Let's be honest. Provo is a bubble for many reasons and in many ways. It's not a fair sampling but it's still the culture that I'm exposed to the most at the moment. That being said, I'm learning to move beyond it.
I will not live here forever, thank goodness, and I fully intend on being employed full-time come the end of the summer but if I didn't plan on that, that would be okay too! I'm not ashamed to say that this summer is "my" summer. My summer to share with my husband. My summer to explore, relax and focus on my health.

So, if you wanted to know what my post-graduation plans are, now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment