Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sniffles and Sneezes

Last week I woke up and it was like I'd been hit by a truck. 
My head was pounding, my throat was experiencing that horrible combination of dry, sore and mucus-y. My eyes were watery and my nose was runny. 

To be honest, I think it was a mixture of a cold and allergies. I had a slight fever and chills for a day but the next day it was your typical allergy attack. Thankfully, however, I didn't have itchy eyes or an itchy throat. I can deal with the rest just fine but itchy eyes? No. And an itchy throat just makes me miserable. 

Anyway, I have learned that some things work for me and some things don't. Most nasal sprays don't work for me. And with this bout of sickness, I didn't know if it was a cold or allergies or both so I treated for both. Which in the end wasn't much different than if I treated for one or the other. 

Things that work for me:

 Just a note, I'm not getting paid to promote these brands I simply like them and they work for me. 

1-Water! Because water is good for everyone ALL the time. Drink it. Love it. Be cleansed. 
2-Nasacort Allergy 24: I don't actually love this one but I do use it on day one of my sick days. Just day one. 
3-Smith's (Kroger) brand Nose Vapor Inhaler: Honestly, it sounds disgusting but I like this because it's not liquid. It's like breathing in the Vicks vapor but more direct. And it loosens up my congestion pretty well. 
4-Puffs Plus with Lotion AND Vicks: Apparently, these aren't sold in stores anymore. Why? No idea, but you can buy them online. I bought mine on Amazon.com in bulk.
5-Tylenol Sinus:This little beauty saves my bacon. Every. Time. I like it for a couple different reasons. It works, the caplets are coated in some kind of minty stuff that makes them easier to swallow, AND it treats both allergy and cold symptoms. So, YAY! 
6-Burts Bees Lip Balm: My lips get very dry when I take decongestants so I make sure to keep this lovely lip balm close by. 
7-Vicks Vapor Rub: I actually use this and the Breathe oil to help me, you know, breathe. And I love it. 
8-Vitamin D: I have a Vitamin D deficiency so I take 10,000IU every day but I make sure I get enough when I'm sick. I've been told that Vitamin D is the boat that takes the medicine to your cells so without boats, medicines and other supplements don't really do much. 
9-Traditional Medicinals Seasonal Sampler: You get four bags of each flavor. It doesn't cost as much as buying all four flavors.
10- Essential Oils: There are a bunch of brands out there but I use doTERRA. I diffuse and topically use different oils all the time but I like to diffuse Breathe when I'm sick (along with a couple others). 

Anyway, those are my top ten "go-tos" for when I'm sick and they definitely helped me heal quickly so I could carry out my surprise out-of-town trip! That's coming on Thursday.

The oils I use when I'm sick.
My Oils "Bible". It helps you learn which oils to use for different ailments AND how to use them (Topically, Aromatically, Ingestion...yeah)
The mixtures of teas I drink in addition to the Seasonal Sampler.

No comments:

Post a Comment